It’s been a while since I’ve been able to take a breath and slow down to share some thoughts. So here I am before 2022 arrives to share what’s going on and hopefully encourage you too.
I’ve noticed some of my favorite bloggers are shifting, even their blog are formatted differently to not bring attention to the fact that they are blogging less but still have a blog. Anyway, here I am and here are some thoughts and updates I wanted to share.
- This year I’ve been slowing down after I announced shifting goals on this blog post, and I still feel an internal battle. I have to constantly remind myself that I don’t HAVE TO like I used to, give myself permission to relax, fail without too much disappointment, but I have to admit, it’s been a little challenging because I am always one to want to excel in everything I do. It’s something I’m learning, even at 40. I think I did a good job the first half of the year then things started rolling in and I was happy to take them after all, who will turn down work if it’s good and fun? So I plan to keep this mentality without feeling the behind the scenes hustle or stat pressure – but it’s hard, not going to pretend.
- I feel such relief completing my book. Thankfully because I have given myself space to breathe, I completed my broken engagement book I had been working on for what seems, maybe 2-3 years! Every version you think it could come in, it’s here. Kindle, soft and hard cover, and audible, how I found the time to finish but also put out an audible, wow thank you Lord! Find In Repair: A Guide to a Broken Engagement on Amazon here. I never would have though I’d do an audible but I am so glad I did because I can talk to those hurting and reach them in different ways, audio, immediately on kindle, or a physical book. I now have about 20 copies I need to put in the trunk of my car and when I drive by a church I plan to drop one off with the office so the counselor knows it’s available for anyone who might need it.
- I can’t wait to get back to the garden. It feels like it has been a while since I’ve been out in the garden with all the entertaining this season – it’s been a whirlwind since October, my book – my huge 40th birthday party, then the wonderful holiday hosting (4 parties this month). I am looking forward to being outside again and tending to my garden! I have already pulled out a lot of flowers that needed to go and the garden beds (why do I bother with attempting to grow carrots or beets when they look so sad?). So I might fill them up with more… basil and tomatoes and peppers since that’s what I actually eat!
- I realized why I go “extra” on my parties – it’s another way I express my creativity. A friend who came to my Sex and the City (And Just Like That…) party recently said she enjoyed dressing up and it was a way she could express her creativity and I thought, wow, that’s why I love planning the parties I do! My friends plan their parties for kids and so this is a way I can plan a party for them and they always show up excited, dressed up and we have so much fun which is why I keep throwing the parties and plan to keep doing it! I don’t want to make it a profession but I sure love to just do it for life (and plan on it).
- Related to the blog, I feel like I keep trying to make something that’s not popular any longer, happen. So I’m going to be honest, I love to blog, it’s like something I just enjoy doing and having my own space on the internet and I’ve been doing this for over 10 years. If I like it, that should be a good enough reason to keep going right? I mean after all for so many years I used to write EVERY SINGLE DAY (about what I have no idea haha), but it was my creative outlet. But I feel like it’s almost as if I am trying to make Tumblr happen, less hits, no comments, not sure if blogging is the thing anymore (kind of like Podcasts and TikTok is the new thing). I’m trying to ensure my heart is always in the right place and that the hard work I do serves others – and I am reminded of the broken engagement post which we know has been worth all the years of blogging to help others. So while I’m not sure what I’m trying to actually say, I just wanted to share that thought with you – and thank you for reading by the way!
- I think I need a vacation! Usually a vacation is what makes me motivated to get back to work once I return. A few days of exploring or relaxing and a change of atmosphere usually makes me excited to get back to work and it’s been a while since I’ve been on vacation I need one! Also, I SO miss international travel. Most of you know I used to go somewhere every year but since Taiwan 2020 I haven’t gone anywhere and I need to figure out this whole travel situation thing now for those of us who have our reasons for not wanting to get the jab.
- I hope to continue to surround myself with good people. My friend Brittany said something that awakened something inside me. “Would I let a man treat me like that?” in response to the friends behavior. She actually said it to a group of us, and I thought, wow. She’s right. I am proud to have a great collection of solid good friends around me and though I should share it with you. I have so many thoughts I want to share about life, and I think once my mind feels a bit quieter, I will be able to share them.
- Are there more house projects? Yes, but not immediately. There is a harmon hinge door happening that will block off the hallway from the entertaining areas of the house (of course I will share) and backyard modifications in spring, but also long term plans but unsure when we’ll get to it. Perhaps 5 years, but you never know, we might surprise ourselves.
- Now is a good time to thrift. It’s a new year and people got new gifts for Christmas so donations will be aplenty soon – I know if I’m donating and purging you know others are too! So now would be a great time to head to those thrift stores and see what’s around. I think I need to make room though before I bring in more, but won’t that be a constant cycle…yes, and that’s how it is!
- I have also accepted I will never have “down time” for too long. I am always going to be planning the next thing, renovating, or planning a party. I realize that my life will always feel like I’m “catching up” because that’s how I operate. I’m always onto the next and I love being productive, I am never bored. Once I accepted it I realize that’s the way I enjoy life and to not feel overwhelmed or have anxiety. Just fill it up with things I love to do.
I hope and pray this new year you find rest, joy, and a sense of purpose and find the time to do the things you love and be with the people you love. Thank you for being here and belong along on this writing journey with me. I like to be able to use this as a creative outlet and having an audience encourages me to dig deep and keep writing.
Please excuse me for a little while as I decide what breaks are needed for me to reset and reorganize my thoughts, goals and priorities for the year.
Happy new year!
Diana Elizabeth looks forward to HBO Max’s Harry Potter reunion on January 1! She thought about throwing a party but she’s not going to, she’s got her parents in town and she wants to just focus on what’s in front of her.