No products in the cart.
Using Poshmark to sell my closet
I have a ton of clothes, in a tiny space, in our lovely and cozy 1952 home. See my tiny closet makeover here, but make sure you don’t miss this post on how to sell your clothes from your closet! There’s this app I discovered called Poshmark after googling, “How to sell clothes online.”
I made $175 clearing a quarter of my closet in the first week, and a total of $500 within a month! In the past three years I’ve made $4500 selling 142 items! See my closet here.
- You can use the App via smartphone and on the website.
- There are no listing fees and the listing stays up until you take it down.
- Poshmark takes 20% of the selling cost when it sells.
- Buyer pays the S&H fee so you don’t have to worry about it.
- Poshmark emails you a label to directly slap on you box and you just drop it off at USPS.
- Potential buyers can make offers on your listing and you can go back and forth with negotiation!
- Potential buyers can “heart” your listings
- You can also send a private offer to those who “like” your items to start negotiations!
- For more FAQ, click here.
How to decide what to sell on Poshmark
- Go through your closet and if there’s anything you’d give up for around $15 or less, pull it out of your closet and list! (But you can of course list higher than $15). I just feel that philosophy helps you determine if you should let it go.
- Anything you haven’t worn for a while and is in good condition.
- You just don’t really love it, but it’s worth something and just too nice to donate.
- Once I know what’s listed, I remove them from my closet and move them to another so I don’t wear it anymore – not that I actually ever was.
How to actually sell items
- “Bundling” is lingo for buying more than one item from the same lister. Since PM charges $7 for S&H, it makes sense to offer buyers a discount for bundling items. I offer 15% on one or more.
- I offer 15% off my bundles. I know, that means I only get 66% of the listed sale, but I don’t mind. I still manage to make $5-$18 per item which surpasses any garage sale visitor and I don’t have to sit my driveway all day on a Saturday and babysit my items.
- Be fair – there are some things in a closet that should just go straight to a garage sale or donation, NOT to sell to others.
- Join the parties and “share” your items again so people who are watching the feed can see your items and follow you if you are the same size.
- List items at a fair price. I am certain the reason my items sold quickly is because I priced them from $12 – $25 range and my items are in excellent condition and primarily from Anthropologie.
- Remember what your goal is. For me, it’s clearing out the closet, so I’m more than OK and thrilled to lower prices, bundle, and just move items out of the house. It’s all about your perspective.
How to get more followers – is it important?
- Be engaging in the life parties, so “share” to the party
- If someone “shares” your listing, go to their closet and share some of theirs, it’s etiquette.
- Host a party – Poshmark will reach out to you via email if they select you.
- Your following doesn’t necessarily mean higher chances of selling your items – app users search for sizing, brands and specific items so don’t stress out if you don’t have a following at all, it does not matter!
- When buying, always ask for the condition, if there are any stains and if it’s factory.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for thorough measurements because once you buy it, you can’t get a refund.
- Check your clothing before you “accept” and release payment to the seller. I’ve often trusted too much and found massive stains later.
Tools to have to be a great Seller on Poshmark
All items available on Amazon Prime: Pineapple Poly Mailer 10×13 (100) / Pink Poly Mailer 12×15.5 (100) Bubble Mailer 6×10 (50) / Tissue Paper (100) / Thank you Stickers (36) Packaging Tape (6 rolls) / Corrugated Box 12x8x6 (25) / Pink Bubble Wrap
Earn $5 when you sign up
Use code DIANAELIZABETH for Poshmark and get $5 when you sign up!
You may also like:
- My tiny closet makeover and organization tips
- The Minimal Closet Mission
- READ ADDITIONAL UPDATED POST ON SELLING ON POSHMARK HERE