There’s only one thing more precious than our time and that’s who we spend it on. – Leo Christopher
But it’s a new year, and thank God things are starting to open back up – with Vegas to open back to 100% capacity in June. Right now I believe it was at 80%. With this being our 8th year in Vegas (we’ve been friends for 15+) I was actually wondering if we’d run out of new things to do in Vegas! Not so! Here’s my tip about Vegas right now – make reservations EARLY, like weeks in advance, especially given some places have limited capacity. You can always cancel reservations last minute but you cannot make them last minute.
Planning Vegas Travel in 2021 tips
- Book reservations for restaurants ahead of time – Open Table or on their own website. Most are confirming a few days before via text.
- Masks are enforced everywhere – and because Vegas has so many cameras everywhere you won’t be able to walk too far in public areas without one. However, if you aren’t into mask wearing, I have seen face shields and mesh masks be just fine.
- Right now until June, there is a capacity limit and you may need to RSVP using a QR code to put your name on the list to get in the pool area. We had to wait but we did get in – look for those large signs early in the morning but be aware people will be going to the pool as early as 8 am.
- Inquire about masks at the pool – Wynn last year did not make us wear masks when seated. At Mandalay Bay we were asked to wear a mask while seated. Sorry not a fan of this once seated as this didn’t make much sense to me because once seated at a restaurant you are able to remove your mask, and at a bar lounge too, so to enforce wearing a mask while sitting by the pool on your chair which is outdoors seems so overboard – but I digress… so check with your hotel/pool if this might cramp your style.
- You can remove off your mask when you take photos, there shouldn’t be any pushback.
- Uber is not really happening in Vegas especially not along the strip so don’t expect to find any cars available. I spoke to a hotel employee and he gave me his thoughts – Ubers usually stay off the strip due to the nature of the clientele and party mode, and also receiving their stimulus and unemployment checks which are around $300 a week which gives them little incentive to Uber currently. No big deal if you want to get around, taxis are just fine and available pretty readily! We hopped from hotel to hotel for about $14 or less – you just miss the convenience of the app for paying but using a CC is just fine or cash.
Please visit Vegas, I could tell the hotel staff, employees, taxi drivers, entertainers all miss doing their jobs and are glad tourists are coming. Many times we were asked, “Please keep coming back,” and it made me a little emotional. Go and spend money, help the economy and our fellow Americans. Be generous with your tipping!
Tumblers: Lilly Pulitzer c/o (GREAT idea for a girls trip!)
^^ These tumblers by Lilly Pulitzer were a hit – they kept everyone’s drinks cold and they were small enough to not be overwhelming as we packed them from activity to activity. I found initial stickers while thrifting and brought them along so we stuck a sticker on top!
I love writing these posts because they are truly my online public diary entries and I get to share the adventure with you and share tips. These are the activities we did this year –
The Variety Show
We weren’t able to take photos so we just took them before The Variety Show started. We sat front row with complimentary drinks (paid extra $10 for the front row seats) and it was fun! It felt like a talent show, a small scale but we were cracking up! The magic show was great, so was the host, so hilarious and the strong men were mind blowing! Those were our favorite acts for the night.
We love going to the shows and supporting creative actors and artists. This wasn’t a crazy production of lights and music (we’ve seen those too) but we really love a lot of shows, it doesn’t matter if they are big or small to us. I think we know it takes guts, talent and that it is someone’s job to entertain others! How gutsy and how talented! Bravo!
Jean-Georges Steakhouse at Aria
Oh wow, this spot, we love steak, and Jean-Georges Steakhouse was delicious! Flavorful, I ordered the lamb (of course) the gals ordered steaks and Melayne ordered snow crab legs. You can say we love fancy dinners and to enjoy our time together. This was intimate, dark, quiet and flavorful! We shared a ton of sides, sipped some cappuccino and espresso at the end of the night to meet up with a friend right after –
Lily Bar & Lounge at Bellagio
Bodysuit: Nat & Liv (sold out) / Faux leather skirt: Forever 21 / Floral Earrings: Lisi Lerch c/o
A semi-short walk to Lily at Bellagio from Aria, we met up with my very long time friend Lisa Song Sutton who I have known for almost 20 years. She is an amazing entrepreneur and she owns alcohol-infused cupcakes, Sin City Cupcakes. Please order her cupcakes to be delivered to wherever you are when you visit Vegas! It is a must!
It was great to hang out with Lisa and catch up. The lounge setting it was perfect to chat, dance and feel social but not feel like we were on top of each other.
Cafe Lola is cute, but be aware there are two locations and one is way cuter than the other (10075 S Eastern Ave #109 Henderson NV). But the food and treats are the same and very cute! We were supposed to be at the cuter one only to have to go to the second one. I booked on Open Table a reservation three weeks in advance, showed up only to be told they stopped taking reservations and had a private event going on. But they never turned off their Open Table reservations – and I even got a reservation confirmation the week before. So they called and got us a table at this one, which was OK, but def not as great. Then while we were waiting we saw some other girls have the same issue …
Anyway, this location got us in as soon as they could, and we ate and they gave us complimentary mimosas. They tried their best to make it up to us. Thanks Brenna for driving us 20 minutes the other way. It was still girl time, and it was still a good fun time. I ordered a 24kt creme brûlée latte and a turkey and cheese sandwich.
Everything is what you make of it and we had a great time together chatting and having girl talk. I still suggest it, or Toast Society which we went to two years ago.
The Mayfair Supper Club at Bellagio
I don’t even know where to begin with Mayfair located in Bellagio. GO. This is now one of my favorite restaurants in Vegas, it was so flavorful, and such a great experience.
There was signing entertainment, it was GORGEOUS and our view from our table – we got lucky…
^^ This view!!
I ordered the squash and please order the pasta side. I could have eaten that entire pasta by myself.
We walked to the garden at Bellagio which we decided we need to see every time we are in Vegas from here on out. They change the themes out and hav the most gorgeous florals we can all admire. The theme this season is Thailand (also a spot I’ve been blessed to visit).
Also next on our list when we come back that we spotted as we walked around the Ballagio’s garden…Sadelle’s which was not open when we walked by. I want to make this my house, how do we do that?
We always have one casual night and this was our first night when we got in town. We aren’t super casual but we are a little bit haha! Maybe it’s just casual night for dinner as in we don’t go super high end for our dinner but we felt like dressing up anyway. We’ve been to Wolfgang’s before the first time we came to Vegas 8 years ago so it was fun to return.
I love my girl time and you know I am obsessed with my friends. Benjamin said, “You guys have something unique,” and it made me smile. I am thankful for the dedication we have to be together, the acknowledgment in our hearts that we know we are blessed and the sisterhood we have shared over 15 years. It is a true honor to grow older and go through life with these babes (missing one but at least she comes to the other things!) Until next year Vegas!
Past Vegas blog posts – Ideas on what to do in Las Vegas
- 2014 : Honey Salt, Wolfgang Puck, Hakkasan, Le Reve
- 2015 : Titanic Artifact Exhibition, Dinner at Mix, Madame Tussauds Wax Museum, Noodle Asia
- 2016 : David Copperfield (he even Tweeted at me), Shibuya, 7 Magic Mountains, Hash House a Go Go, Vegas Sign
- 2017 : Beatles Love Cirque du Soleil, Minus 5 Ice Experience, 7 Magic Mountains, Mon Ami Gabi, Amorino, Stripsteak
- 2018 : Michael Jackson’s ONE Cirque du Soleil, Libertine Social, Daylight beach club, The Neon Museum, Black Tap
- 2019 (tips on getting experiences comped) : Apex, and Kaos at The Palms, Daylight Beach Club, Catch at Aria, Janet Jackson at Park Theater, Toast Society, Xavier Mortimer’s Magical Dream, Batista’s Hole in the Wall Italia, XS Club Encore at Wynn
- 2020 : Bardot French dinner, Rail Biking in Boulder City, Dinner at Jardin, Fashion Show Mall
- 2021: Wolfgang Pucks, The Variety Show, Jean-George’s Steakhouse at Aria, Lily Lounge at Bellagio, Cafe Lola, Mayfair
Diana Elizabeth was the overpacked this trip – but she blames it on the other things she had to bring and well, the fact that they drove up, it didn’t matter! Also the girls like to coordinate for photos so it’s nice to have options and see what everyone else is wearing.