I thought I’d write this post to do a little explaining about our no shoe rule in our home, why we don’t wear shoes in our house – not in any reason to convince you to do the same because I honestly I’m not passionate about convincing people I’m right, it’s your house and you can do whatever makes you happy! Isn’t that great?
Since I’ve been asked why we decide to go the no shoe route, I thought I’d write a little post why and you can decide if this is a route you want to take one day.
We do allow guests to keep shoes on for comfort/health and if we host a cocktail party where shoes are a part of the outfit. We understand that those are special occasions and situations – this is for the common every day in hopes to keep our home cleaner.
For Asians it’s a tradition because many things are done on the floor in Asian countries – like sitting to eat so for hygiene purposes it makes sense. I however, was born in Northern California and have always grown up taking off my shoes.
Reasons why we take off our shoes
- We want to differentiate the inside from the outside – dirt stays outside.
- If we did wear shoes, dirt would be inside our home, and if we ever took off our shoes, the bottoms of our feet would get dirty. Therefore we can’t curl up on the couch or get in bed without dirt everywhere or we have to leave shoes on all the time in our home and barefoot is so much more comfortable.
- Babies can crawl on a cleaner floor and probably get sick less
- Even if you have pets (my parents have my college dog) he is so small and tracks little to no dirt in since he’s indoor so it’s still fine to still be a shoeless home.
- It keeps our things looking newer and cleaner – I can kick up my feet on our furniture any time
- Our carpet stays white in bedrooms
- We have SOFT wood floors – so worn down high heels will leave marks
- We don’t like dirt sticking to the bottoms of our feet since we prefer bare feet inside
- No shoes on the couch isn’t a rule, it’s just what happens when shoes are already off
So, that’s really it.
My feet itch when I walk barefoot outside even for a second, and I want to keep our home looking clean. I’m a germaphobe. Have you seen the Swiffer commercial where people test it out and clean their kitchen and show the bottom? Well if you watched the people, they wear shoes inside their home so of course it looks dirty on the mop. If you tried it on ours, the bottom of our mop wouldn’t be bad.
How do we ask company to take off their shoes?
First I think it’s obvious as people our age should now enter homes and look at the hosts feet and automatically observe. Our friends know our policy after being friends with us for years, but for newbies, we just politely ask, no big deal. We’ve never had push back. Then, we promise our floors are clean.
Here I explain how we ask –My parents have slippers available by the door – something we might consider. He says they got them from Walmart, San Francisco Chinatown, they are about $2-$4 and plastic foam like slippers. He also said they use a spray can of Hexol or bactericide on the slippers after use if you can’t toss them in the wash.
We understand the tradeoff for asking those to take off their shoes – we should have clean floors. And, we do, because of our no shoe rule :) And our cleaning lady gets a good applause too.
^^ I made the sign and you could even hang it outside a door or by the shoe mat
I had a friend who stayed with us for five days and she loved our no shoe policy that she implemented in when she returned home. I’ve always done it, even in my college apartment with roommates, rental apartments, no matter where I lived because it was simply a clean thing and worked for us.
I’ve had a friend concerned that it wouldn’t work with her home with so many people going in and out, and worried about the inconvenience. I say if you make it a rule in your home, and ask them to, they’d be happy to oblige. Our family and friends are happy to (or so we think and they still come over and hang out so they must be OK).
So if you ever come over, kick off your shoes and then kick your feet all over the place if you want – because your feet are clean and our house is clean! Weeee!
Read how we request guests to remove their shoes – to avoid those awkward moments if you need some help ;)