But how busy can a 9-year-old little girl can be? Cleary, very busy, and too busy for diary entries.
Maybe my mom was making us watch another episode of The Human Calculator teaching us how to do math from left to right – it really works more quickly. Or perhaps it was the extra math problems mom made us do “for fun” after school. Welcome to Asian parenting, but also, that’s the reason why my brother and I did well in school. I’m sure mom kept us busy.
I’m also certain at age nine I also kept myself busy.
I feel like I should be honest and tell you that today I’m no math wizard.
I twice tipped a waiter $50 off a $100 bill. Oops. But the last time was nearly a decade ago.
I blame my math wizardry decline on a kid who distracted me freshman year (he later became one of my best friends but he seriously derailed me so teach your kids to not sit by distractions). I wish I could also blame it on being intoxicated but that’s not how I roll, so I guess I just totally blessed someone on the tipping, lol!! Better more than too little? Because I’ve accidentally done that too with a group tip and thankfully corrected it when I saw bad glares and whispers from a waiter which was pretty hilarious and I caught it!
I wanted to share this excerpt again from “Rise and Grind” by Raymond John from Shark Tank.
I’ve decided I want to be busy with these things –
- Social activities which I absolutely enjoy and live for. It’s always been my goal to be a lady who lunches, haha!
- Home projects – including the garage and landscaping.
I no longer want to be busy doing –
- Over indulging in my binge watching. I’m getting too carried away you guys. Like I need to be doing the other things not sitting in front of the TV. Binge watching is fine, when I can afford to do it.
- Making myself busy in my thoughts with frivolous things that don’t matter. Like worrying about social numbers when my focus should always be my bank account number. I mean this in the most sincere business way.
I tend to put so much pressure on myself to keep up. So much of my job is social media and I enjoy it – there are so many wonderful joys and perks but like anything, too much of anything can be harmful. And that’s when the bad busy happens, the exhaustion – when we’re doing the things we really don’t need to be doing.
Chasing, working when we really don’t have to be working that hard (don’t take that so literally haha), but you know, sometimes we just make ourselves busy because we think we need to be.
A few personal updates on what will be keeping me busy this fall, aside from work –
- Moving ahead with garage plans (deposit paid)
- Moving ahead with landscape overhaul – front and back yard (deposit paid)
- Including moving our garden area and turning our current garden area to an orchard.
- Going to France (and a little Germany and Switzerland) this fall.
- Selling our rental property.
We are closing the chapter of being landlords. We are selling our townhome (rental property and my first house I bought in Phoenix). When I have time, maybe I’ll write a post on it, but that won’t be for a few months when I will discuss it, or have time to discuss it once we can get back in and spruce it up and put it on the market. This is a stage I never thought we’d enter but to give you the quick reason – being busy with work and life and your own home is one thing, but busy fixing up another place can take away from what you really want to be doing. Anyway, when I have more news on that front I’ll write a post.
Regarding the garage, a few collaborative modifications brought the budget down a bit (we’re paying cash again so it kind of has to or else we won’t be moving forward so I’m going to be a total tight wad over the next few months).
I took a few days off social just to relax – and binge watch because I honestly had the time and needed it and now I’m back at my desk working. I feel rejuvenated, and excited to work again and that break to Long Beach, Washington was exactly what I needed!! My vacations fuel my soul and the bonding time with my friends is what I live for – I am such a relationship girl.
And on that note, thank you for being here. I appreciate your visit, our conversations we have on social and love how this space can bring us together. xx
Diana Elizabeth says the weather is now divine in Phoenix and she’s in a great mood, running errands and enjoys being outside. Everyone is all smiles here and happy!