I saw a naturopath a few years ago when I was feeling sluggish and we discussed my daily habits. Came to find out only drinking coffee and not eating until 1 pm was a problem! She suggested the first thing I do was change my morning habits and the first was to get protein in my body in the morning to give me energy throughout the day.
Protein keeps you fuller longer – you can do this through string cheese, cottage cheese, a hard boiled egg, or as I’m sure you’ve started to notice, the protein pancake trend!
I assumed protein pancakes meant you had to buy protein powder – but this easy passed down recipe does not require it, the protein is in the Shamrock Farms Cottage Cheese – it has 13 grams of protein per serving! I insist that not all cottage cheese is created equal – when I was making this I was scooping spoonfuls of cottage cheese in my mouth, it’s so creamy and also low in calories and fat. In the middle of writing this post I’m eating it now!
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Shamrock Farms Cottage Cheese
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp canola oil
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 rsp pure vanilla extract
Makes 6 large thick pancakes.
Blueberry syrup, butter, maple syrup and fruits are optional for toppings.
- Preheat a pan or griddle to medium heat. (For our gas stove the griddle was quick to heat up at low-medium).
- In a mixing bowl beat eggs, Shamrock Farms cottage cheese, sugar, and vanilla extract together.
- Add in flour and baking powder, whisk to combine.
- Slowly whisk in canola oil. If consistency is too runny, slowly whisk in flour in small increments.
- Use 1/3 cup as a measuring cup to scoop out batter and pour onto heated pan. Allow pancake to cook until batter looks raised and is bubbling. Flip and allow other side to quickly cook until golden.
You can freeze these for later use too – which is great for later down the week when things get too busy and you can’t make them every morning.
I want to add that Benjamin hasn’t been a fan of pancakes or waffles, while I have been my entire life. When I made these he ate two right away, he loves them! I can’t wait to enjoy them throughout the week, this is one of my favorite tested recipes that I think you and your family would enjoy – and best of all give you energy to tackle the day.
Every Shamrock Farms product begins with pure, wholesome milk with no added growth hormones. Their products go through rigorous purity testing and cold packaged to arrive fresh. You can also take a tour of the dairy farm, it’s open to the public October through May!
Check out more recipes on the Shamrock Farms website this recipe is entered in the Roxie’s Cottage Cheese Recipe Challenge, so if I’m a finalist (find out on the 27th) be sure to vote for me! Enjoy these pancakes the next morning and let me know how you like them. xx