I love watching period films because it makes me feel like I’m traveling to my happy places and many of you know how much I love European costumes, architecture, all of it! So here’s a quick roundup of my latest favorites for you to catch. Aside from The Crown and Downton Abbey which I think a majority of us have watched (if not, time to start wahoo!). And if you’re really missing Europe and want to reminisce with me, feel free to hop over to my Europe travel category, I’d love to show you around some of my favorite European spots and when traveling is back to normal again, perhaps we can get back over there and explore!
Recommended British Drama Shows/Period Pieces
- Atlantic Crossing (Masterpiece series), based upon true events, suspenseful, moving
- The Master Butcher (Masterpiece) in German with subtitles
- Victoria (Amazon Prime TV and Masterpiece), watched this twice, reader recommended
- Sandition (Masterpiece series)
- Les Misérables – a series, with no singing (Masterpiece series)
- Secrets of the Six Wives (Masterpiece historic documentary)
- Bonfire of Destiny (Netflix), loosely based on true events in French with subtitles
- The Best of Men (Masterpiece movie), based on true story
- The Windermere Children (Masterpiece movie), based on true story
- Mr. Selfridge (Masterpiece series), based on true story
- Mrs.Wilson (Masterpiece series), based on true story, craaaaazy
- Poldark, (Amazon Prime Video, Masterpiece series)
- Emma (Amazon rental movie), acting so-so, costume and set design amazing
- Alias Grace (Netflix series), a bit dark
- Outlander (AStarz series, some seasons on Amazon Prime)
- ANZAC Girls (Amazon Prime Video)
Reader recommended (by you)
- The Paradise (Amazon Prime TV and Masterpiece)
- Land Girls (Netflix)
- Call the Midwife (Netflix)
- Horatio Hornblower
- War and Peace (Amazon Prime Video)
- Beecham House (Masterpeice and YouTube TV)
- The Great (Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, YouTube)
- Catherine The Great (HBO)
- Line of Duty (AMC, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu)
The shows that weren’t for me
- The Foysyte Saga
- The Durrells in Corfu
Shows Worth Mentioning
- Anne with an E (Netflix series), Anne of Green Gables updated version. Most traditional Anne of Green Gables fans do not like this however this is the first of Anne I have seen.
- Reign (Amazon Prime Video), young-adult but costumes are gorgeous. I never finished the series but I did see the filming of Reign when I was at Ashford Castle in Ireland.
If you watch any British drama, period films or I’d love to know what your favorite shows are in the comments!
Diana Elizabeth picked a photo that best represented her as if she were in an English garden. She said to Benjamin recently that she really misses France. She had no idea she’d spend more time in France than in Mexico and wishes she studied French instead – although knowing Spanish is pretty important too.