**Unfortunately my Miimo stopped working a few months after owning it. We were so satisfied with it while it worked but am sorry to report that I have yet to get a resolve or hear from Honda for a replacement. I was told that rain water got into the switch board and it died. I will report back when this issue is solved so please read the review with that in mind. 8/2020
I have said this so many times in the past year, we are living in the future – Jetson style! Really, look around – we have cell phones, the Internet, FaceTime, the robotic vacuum and now, a robotic lawn mower?! What a blessing to live during this time of new inventions that provide so much convenience.
This partnership with Honda Power Equipment came at the perfect time. At the beginning of the year we had just completed our home expansion and our lawn guy (I can’t call him a landscaper because he doesn’t go beyond mowing the lawn) told us he was raising his prices and he wouldn’t do every other week any longer.
I was really upset with the cost of our lawn care guy – $100 a week. That meant $5200 a year for our lawn to be trimmed. Let that sink in.
That’s a trip to Europe. That’s a nice wardrobe. That’s ________. That’s insane and a rip off.
It was a true blessing when an email about Honda’s Miimo a robotic lawnmower landed in my inbox. I read it and said, sign me up because I am overpaying for lawn care service that I wish provided more for the cost.
When I shared the install on Instagram stories I received so many DMs about it and a friend text messaged me wanting more info. I answered them but I also couldn’t believe the fascination, it makes sense!How will the Honda Miimo make your landscaping beautiful with minimal effort and possibly save you money and time? Let’s talk about it.
Basic answers to FAQ about Miimo
- There is a wire installed that marks the perimeter boundaries of where your Miimo will stay inside. The Honda dealership where you purchase your Miimo will install it for you.
- You can easily wire around trees – you don’t have to, but ours we need to due to the roots sticking above the top of the grass)
- The wire must be 12 inches away from anything you don’t want it to hit. There is a cardboard ruler that you can remove from the box.
- The docking recharge station must be flush on the ground. No ramps or incline for it to go up and go “home.” This was an issue for us since we have flood irrigation every few weeks so now we must watch our irrigation schedule.
- Like sprinklers, there is a timer for when Miimo operates. The idea is that Miimo is programmed to mow often to maintain your landscape. Ours goes every day from 9 to 2 pm after the morning sprinklers go and stops before the afternoon sprinklers turn on.
- You can also mow at night, it’s so quiet you won’t even hear it!
- For every hour it’s working, it needs 1 hour to charge.
- You should pick up pet poop and dead birds (our issue) before it goes or else it will go over it.
- Change blades once a year. Replacement blades are included.
- You can adjust the height of the grass it cuts.
- There must be 4 feet of width for Miimo to pass through.
- You will need to still get a weed wacker for edging.
- Miimo can bump into trees and it will be fine it will just turn around. However brick surfaces will scratch the front of it so that’s why a boundary is good to set around things you don’t want it to bump into, or run over like tree roots.
- You can do random pattern (what we do), directional or mixed. I was told random would work best for making sure we get it all.
- No bags to change, Miimo cuts the blades and dispenses it back into the lawn so it fertilizes it at the same time!
- There are two models, one can handle lawns up to .37 acres and our Miimo can handle lawns up to .75 acres.
- Find a Honda Power Equipment dealer near you here. Not available in California or Oregon.
Setting up the Miimo
Robert from Honda set up the perimeter which took him less than an hour – he said it was easy because my ground was soft and it was easy to pound in the wire fasteners. At first I was worried about this wire on my lawn, concerned we’d trip over it but it’s flush with the ground and he told me in a few weeks or months it would just disappear into the ground!
After a few weeks I’m reporting that it really has flattened and you can’t see it and you certainly can’t trip over it.
In the box
I wanted to share what is included in the box.
Honda’s Miimo comes with a long spool of wire and all you need to secure it into the ground and also the charging base. The replacement blades are included (above left) they are so small and you only need to replace it once a year!
Here’s another update about how it works I shared on IG stories –
We really have fallen in love with our Miimo and enjoy seeing it go every morning just taking care of our perfectly cut lawn that is maintained at the exact, same perfect height!
On top of that, we are now saving money and time. Will Miimo work for your lifestyle? Find a Honda Power Equipment dealer near you.
I was not compensated for this post. A Miimo was given in lieu of compensation and requested that I share my honest opinion.