One of the many perks I have as a photographer and model are the make up artists I get to work with. I sit and I ask a ton of questions (when I’m the model) and I always ask, “What’s that?” every time something goes on my face. I love watching artists do their craft. Lauren Snow is a talented makeup artist and I was thrilled when she asked me to take a few photos for her newly launched website. I spent a good few hours on her blog reading her tips and even bought a few things she suggested. Meet lovely Lauren Snow!
Lauren Snow offers three main types of services in the Phoenix valley: makeup for special occasions, education classes for individuals or groups, and an artistry team to offer services for events, fashion or trend shows. In addition to showing off her pretty face and a few fun shots we took, I thought I’d give you a real treat and ask her for a few tips and tricks! Read more of her beauty product reviews on her blog that gives a ton of in depth looks on what she discovers!
What propelled you to become a makeup artist?
Emotion is what really continues to motivate me to do what I love so much. I believe true beauty comes from inner beauty. It’s the beautiful feeling that someone has when they are sitting in your chair looking at their makeup and are crying tears of happiness because they have Rosacea and have never seen their skin without the redness. Or the beautiful bride that’s never worn makeup before who hugs you so tight and is beaming with happiness because her look is stunning and reflects exactly how she’s feeling inside that day, pure joy. I believe that makeup should be used to translate how you feel on the inside. To me, it’s more than just makeup, it’s your own beautiful story!
What should every woman know how to do in terms of using makeup?
There are three beauty rules that I live by that I feel every woman should know. I want to shout this from the rooftop of Empire State Building or let it echo through the Grand Canyon. That’s how passionate I am about this!
- Your makeup will only look as good as the skin that’s under it. Be sure to invest in a good skin care regimen that address your needs. It makes all the difference. I promise.
- Foundation is everything. Everyone needs to know how to get correctly color matched and how to select a foundation that is going to work best with your skin type. Do you like light to medium coverage or full coverage? Do you like a matte finish or dewy finish? Are you dry or oily? These are things you need to ask yourself. Read Lauren’s Foundation Color Matching blog post here.
- A little color goes a long way! Less is always more. Always start by applying a small amount of color and build on it. Blending is key with eyeshadow and blush!
What is the most requested makeup look and some favorite products you use to achieve it?
Kim Kardashian is the most requested makeup look I hear – by far. It’s all about her countouring and highlightening signature look. My favorite products to achieve this look are:
- Contouring: Kevyn Aucoin ‘The Sculpting’ Powder
- Highlighting: Smashbox Artifical Light, Make Up Forever Camouflage Cream Palette No.1, and Make Up Forever HD Microfinish Powder.
Favorite 5 products, ever. Go.
- Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua Skin Perfecting Makeup – this is my everyday foundation. I LOVE IT!! It is so light weight and gives light to medium blendable coverage. It melts right into your skin and has a beautiful scent!
- Urban Decay Naked Palette (Original) – This is my favorite palette that I always seem to come back to. It has everything you need and is a great for all skintones. For those that don’t like shimmer, they just came out with Naked Basics Palette that has 6 matte shades…Love it!)
- Help Me by philosophy – I call this me secret weapon of skincare. This is a retinol (translation Vitamin A) treatment that you apply to clean skin at night before you moisturize. It is the best skin brightener, great for antiaging concerns, and helps boost collagen. Try it!
- Lancome Definicils High Definiton Mascara – This is my all time favorite mascara. I love how it lengthens and separates. Never leave home without it!
- YSL Rouge Volupte Lipstick #18 Red Taboo – Even though I don’t wear it everyday, it was worth every penny! It is the best red lipstick and is a true blue red. Every gal should have a perfect red lipstick in their beauty collection! This is mine.
Diana Elizabeth admits she’s totally requested the Kim Kardashian look. She loves smokey eyes and nude lips, so pretty!