No products in the cart.
From Basic to Fanciful
How would you call your style? I asked one of my best girlfriends Jennifer and she said, “Trendy!” I was like, is that a style or a shopping habit? And she said, “Classic elegance,” which was sweet. My style has changed a lot over the years – from satin, rhinestone tanks (I swear that was in a decade ago), to very Anthro to preppy J.Crew to bodysuits and jumpers. Yes, I love the trends, always have but more-so now!
If you find yourself reaching too often for the basics and in a rut for style, I want to help!
We all need our basics and can swap and layer with them, and I believe a good hair and skin day makes the outfit just as much as the clothes you’re wearing! I made this little photo chart up – it took a really long time so I hope you like it, I link to all the products shown at the end of the post including the basics. I wanted to just show you that you can replace the basics you grab for while shopping for something that has more flair – if you’re looking to add more stylish pieces to your wardrobe.
Links to products above
Basics are great – we all need them. I would guess 25% of my wardrobe are basics, they are staples you need to anchor your outfit – but it’s that statement piece of your outfit that gets you the compliments.
I have those – go-to tops or pieces that always get me a compliment whenever I put it on. They are usually from Anthropologie. Now we don’t live or shop for praise, but the point I’m trying to make is that if you love a top so much, even if it’s a splurge, chances are, you’re onto something and you should get it. It’s probably not only catching your eye, but everyone else – that’s style. That’s feeling great about what you’re wearing because it’s not so basic, it’s that piece that showcases your personality and brightens your mood.
- Do you really need more t-shirts or tank tops? Buy if you are replacing a worn out one, but don’t buy if you already have two.
- Look for the statement tops. What will MAKE your outfit stand out is a top, or pants that is unique. You mix it with your basic, but it’s that WOW, how UNIQUE is this piece that will make your outfit go from basic to fab.
- Basics are great – just “up” it. Instead of loose tees and tanks, think bodysuits – they are so sexy and they are still like a basic tee – just tuck them into any pants and it’s instant style. Add a high-waist jean or shorts and you’re on trend!
- Don’t overlook accessories. Lucky for you, chokers are in, and pom poms so you can dazzle any outfit just with a simple accessory on a shoe or a necklace.
- Yes, you can pull it off. I often hear, I look ridiculous in that. That won’t flatter my body. Um, wrong. You don’t have the confidence and you NEED to find the confidence because the reality is, the top or bottoms come in size 00 to 25 and that means someone in every size is rockin’ it and so why can’t that be you?