Yes, it’s only been a month and a half as a Mrs. but let me tell you things I wish I knew before and immediately after I became a Mrs. I had to figure this stuff out on my own, where was the advice my married friends? Good thing I took notes for y’all who are getting hitched soon!
So here I am to help you have a smooth transition, and avoid a bad drivers license photo.
- When you apply for your marriage license, request to get TWO copies of your certified marriage license. You’ll need it to send in for passport, etc. If you only have one, you’ll freak out like I am over sending it to get your new passport just in case you need it.
- When you change your name on your drivers license, guess what, you have to take a new photo. So don’t go in unshowered and with a baseball cap on to hide your dirty hair just because you think hey, it’s the DMV so you don’t have to get dressed up. Cause, you will have to get a new photo honey, with your new signature.
- Speaking of a new signature, practice your new last name like you did in jr. high with your crush’s last name – only it’s real life now and it’s your future last name before you have to sign it on your new drivers license. I didn’t do that and so with my new last name there were so many different ways to do an S, then what about the double F’s? Now I can’t stand looking at my license as I’ve decided to change it…again. I’m so indecisive. You cannot pressure creativity!
- If you want to add the Mr. to the title of your car (if you own it outright), then he needs to be present at the DMV with you. Good luck convincing him to go.
- Go to HitchSwitch.com and for $39 buy their packet that fills everything out for you to change your name. You’ll be so glad you did! They are my friends over there and wonderful! I did it and it was such a time saver!
Things no one ever told you about once you get married:
- You sorta assume the role for the grocery shopping and meals. You’ll probably have to make sure your husband eats lunch, and doesn’t eat like he used to when he was single. So, grab an iPad ladies and learn how to cook! And ask his mom for his favorite dishes and try to master them!
- You’ll also be the one who will be in charge of the sheets being washed because you’ll probably want them washed way more often than he’s used to. Guys are simple, girls are OCD with cleanliness. It’s OK, they’ll let you be.
- You are in charge of getting all appropriate addresses for his side of the family and adding them to your typical yearly Christmas card list – thank goodness as an organized woman you can easily add this, right?
- Birthdays too.
- You’ll learn how he likes everything folded, including his socks. Or if he likes them laid on top of each other so no stretchy sock tops.
- You’ll be your Mr.’s personal shopper. This includes buying his undies and clothes. He is your Ken doll. Yesssss!
- You’ll want everything monogrammed with your new initials or new last name. Or even better, couple monogram.
Diana Elizabeth is absolutely obsessed with her Mr. Wonderful. More often than not she’ll look at him and think, THANK GOD. He is so faithful.