Weekly food delivery service. Yes, really.
Since we started subscribing to Blue Apron in January, it has been such a great decision! I was sold after reading a blogger who made a Thanksgiving meal for two. I wanted to give you an honest Blue Apron review after a few months of experience have gone by.
What you need to know about Blue Apron:
- 3 complete meals for 2, for $60 a week. That includes shipping. That’s $10 a meal and sometimes you have leftovers.
- Meals for a family of 4 are offered.
- You pick which day they deliver – Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday.
- Perfectly portioned ingredients are included and labeled.
- Recipe cards have images for all the steps.
- Note when you unpack that meat is hidden under the produce – sandwiched between the ice packs.
- You can decide if you don’t want shellfish, beef, pork, etc. If you’re vegetarian you can cook without the meat.
- No recipe is repeated in a calendar year.
Things to be prepared for:
- Don’t take too long to cook your meals, they lose their freshness after a week.
- Sometimes the meals can be spicy so just don’t add so much – you can control it.
- We once didn’t receive our box for two days (what was the delivery guy doing?) and Blue Apron told us to throw out the ingredients and they refunded us which was great.
- Ingredients come fresh but occasionally I find some things get softer quicker.
- Have salt, pepper, a zester (thank you MB for mine!), olive oil, a non stick pan, and large pot on hand. Those are the common things you will use.
- It can create a lot of dishes so I look ahead to see what ingredients can be clumped together so I don’t put every ingredient in a separate bowl. I don’t have a cooking show.
Why I order Blue Apron:
- I already dislike grocery shopping
- I’m completely unoriginal when it comes to making dishes
- Cooking for two can be expensive with wasted ingredients
- I make too much for two so we have to eat the leftovers for a week
I wanted to revisit this because guess what arrived in my mailbox? A discount code I had to share!
Redeem 2 free meals at: blueapron.com/chef15. Good for first time customers only. Expires June 30, 2015.
And look, a dish I made for lunch!